Taco Zucchini Boats- a delicious low carb recipe that’s healthy and filling.
Low Carb Recipe
Zucchini boats are stuffed with a taco-seasoned ground beef mixture with beans and corn and topped with cheese. So delicious you will not miss the carbs at all.
Zucchini are so cheap and plentiful during the summer months. I’m always trying to come up with new ways to cook them. I love their flavor and how low calorie they are. Scroll down for more zucchini recipes.
You want to use 4 to 5 medium zuchinni for this recipe. Make sure you don’t pick skinny zucchini. You want them to have some width.
Just 3 Steps To This Recipe
- Pre-bake the zucchini.
- Make the filling.
- Stuff the zucchini and bake.
How To Make Spicy
To make these zucchini boats spicy, use “Hot” salsa and serve with Cholulu Hot Sauce.
Taco Zucchini Boats Recipe Tips
You will probably have a little extra filling. You can save it for a taco salad or you can keep it warm and eat it with the zucchini boats. A little extra filling is always good.
Yellow squash can be substituted for the zucchini.
Ground turkey can be used instead of ground beef or you can use Beyond Beef Crumbles and make it vegetarian.
The filling can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
Store leftovers in an airtight conatiner in the refrigerator for 4 days. Can be reheated in a microwave.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Moussaka
- Lasagna Zucchini Boats
- Japanese Zucchini
- Jalapeno Popper Zucchini Boats
- Cheesy Squash, Zucchini, and Corn Casserole
- 4 to 5 medium zucchini
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and dained
- 1/2 cup corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Trim the stems from the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out, leaving at least 1/4-inch rim. Discard what was scooped out.
- Lightly coat both sides of zucchini with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.Place cut side up in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Meanwhile add ground beef and onion to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground beef and cook until no more pink.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook 30 seconds.
- Add salsa, black beans, and corn. Simmer over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon ground beef mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle cheese on top.Place back in oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, salsa, and sour cream.