This Instant Pot Southern Green Beans Recipe turns garden fresh green beans into a tender, smokey, bacon-flavored side dish in just minutes. This southern side adds flavor to any meal.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Quick Cooking Time
Usually you need close to an hour of simmering to get that mouth-watering southern green bean flavor. But not with the Instant Pot. Just 7 minutes!
I love the convenience of being able to saute and pressure cook right in the Instant Pot. And you just can’t beat how quickly you can get supper on the table using one.
As a bonus, for all you low carbers, these Instant Pot Southern Green Beans are low carb and keto-friendly.
Ingredients Used For Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
To make these pressure cooked southern green beans I use bacon, onion, chicken broth, seasoned salt, garlic powder, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and butter. It’s not a ton of ingredients but so much flavor gets infused into these green beans.
You will need a pressure cooker for this recipe. I use an Instant Pot 6-Quart 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
- When sauteing in the Instant Pot, be sure to let the pot get hot before adding the bacon. This will help prevent sticking.
- I like my southern green beans to be very tender. If you want your green beans to still be a little crisp, only pressure cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- I like to cut the green beans, especially the larger ones in half so they are easier to eat.
More Ways To Cook Green Beans
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Sweet and Sour Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans
- Crock Pot Buttery Bacon Green Beans
- Candied Green Beans
- Maple-Glazed Green Beans
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Turn Instant Pot on SAUTE mode. When hot, coat inner pot with cooking spray and add bacon. Cook until bacon is crisp.
- Add onion and cook 1 more minute.
- Hit “Cancel” and add chicken broth. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom.
- Add remaining ingredients. Place lid on Instant Pot and set to Pressure Cook for 7 minutes. Let pot do a Natural Release for 10 minutes. Then open valve to let out any remaining pressure. Remove the lid when the pin drops.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published June 5, 2019.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.