This Instant Pot Southern Green Beans Recipe turns garden fresh green beans into a tender, smokey, bacon-flavored side dish in just minutes. This southern side adds flavor to any meal.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Quick Cooking Time
Usually you need close to an hour of simmering to get that mouth-watering southern green bean flavor. But not with the Instant Pot. Just 7 minutes!
I love the convenience of being able to saute and pressure cook right in the Instant Pot. And you just can’t beat how quickly you can get supper on the table using one.
As a bonus, for all you low carbers, these Instant Pot Southern Green Beans are low carb and keto-friendly.
Ingredients Used For Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
To make these pressure cooked southern green beans I use bacon, onion, chicken broth, seasoned salt, garlic powder, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and butter. It’s not a ton of ingredients but so much flavor gets infused into these green beans.
You will need a pressure cooker for this recipe. I use an Instant Pot 6-Quart 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
- When sauteing in the Instant Pot, be sure to let the pot get hot before adding the bacon. This will help prevent sticking.
- I like my southern green beans to be very tender. If you want your green beans to still be a little crisp, only pressure cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- I like to cut the green beans, especially the larger ones in half so they are easier to eat.
More Ways To Cook Green Beans
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Sweet and Sour Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans
- Crock Pot Buttery Bacon Green Beans
- Candied Green Beans
- Maple-Glazed Green Beans
Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Turn Instant Pot on SAUTE mode. When hot, coat inner pot with cooking spray and add bacon. Cook until bacon is crisp.
- Add onion and cook 1 more minute.
- Hit “Cancel” and add chicken broth. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom.
- Add remaining ingredients. Place lid on Instant Pot and set to Pressure Cook for 7 minutes. Let pot do a Natural Release for 10 minutes. Then open valve to let out any remaining pressure. Remove the lid when the pin drops.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published June 5, 2019.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
87 thoughts on “Instant Pot Southern Green Beans”
This is our go-to green bean recipe.
Our family loves it.
These green beans are the BEST!
Has become a favorite
Made this recipe many times. So good. Have used whole frozen green beans and they taste great!
My favorite! We make this monthly! Thank you!
This recipe is very easy and very tasty! I always use the thick bacon, actually it is Wrights Applewood. You can use 2 slices instead of 4, since bacon is thick! I have had rave reviews about these green beans!
These were amazing. Just like Grandma’s without taking up a burner for hours.
I’ve used this recipe for Thanksgiving the past several years and it’s always a hit.
I LOVE this recipe! I’ve made it several times. It’s so easy and tasty! I add little yellow potatoes on the top before cooking, I make a big batch and cook for 8 minutes, which is perfect for well cooked beans and then potatoes are not over cooked. We eat these green beans, bacon, and potatoes for our whole meal!
Great idea. Tried this recipe and I had a pork chop prepared, but my 100 year old Mother said, I could just eat beans for my meal… so that is what we did, as you suggested! She asked me to add potatoes… Delish!
Turned out great! Perfect flavors! Added some paprika and used beef broth instead of chicken.
Very good I’m cooking it now in my frying pan sautéed. Thank you Deborah Everett
Easy and tasty
Loved it! Very little prep work & SO tasty. I added extra of all the spices like I do w most recipes. And cut cook time by 1 minute, will cut by 2 mins next time so beans aren’t quite so soft (I know, soft is the Southern way!). My college daughter, like me, is not a big green bean fan but she loved this, asking me to make them again a couple days later!
What a delicious and easy recipe. Hubby really loved these.
The beans are delicious. Soft like Southern green beans and with a kick!