Hot Caramelized Onion Dip with Bacon and Gruyere is the ultimate onion dip! The flavor of the sweet caramelized onions covered in so much rich, creamy, cheesy goodness makes this dip the hit of every party!
Sweet onion, bacon, gooey cheese all mixed in sour cream and mayo. You can’t go wrong with that.
It’s rich, creamy, and flavorful and sure to be a hit at your next party. Cook the dip in a small cast iron skillet to get it extra golden and bubbly.
Serve with baguette, apple slices, or fritos. Try serving leftovers (if there are any!) over a baked potato.
Never miss a recipe. Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
How To Make Caramelized Onion Dip Video
Sweet Onion, bacon, gooey cheese all mixed in with sour cream and mayo. An appetizer doesn't get more delicious than that!
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 sweet onions halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Crumble.
- Add onions, sugar, and salt to bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions turn a deep golden brown color. This can take as long as 20 minutes. If onions start to burn, turn heat down to medium-low.
- Add sherry and cook 1 minute. Stir in thyme and tabasco. Remove from heat.
- Mix together sour cream and mayo in a medium bowl. Add crumbled bacon, cheese, onion mixture, and black pepper. Mix together well and transfer to a 2-cup baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
Yield: 2 cups
Recipe Source: adapted from Coastal Living
More Dip Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.