Hot Buttered Bourbon is richly flavored with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. It’s a classic winter cocktail that will warm your insides on a cold evening.
Makes a great holiday cocktail and it’s easy to make in a large batch. Serve with a cinnamon stick and whipped cream to dress it up.
Hot Buttered Rum may be the more popular drink, but if you are a bourbon lover, Hot Buttered Bourbon can’t be beat.
The flavor of this cocktail is amazing. You really can’t go wrong with bourbon, brown sugar, and butter. Add in some warm spices and you have a fabulously flavored cocktail. Note: This is a sweet cocktail and may not appeal to people who do not have much of a sweet tooth.
Hot Buttered Bourbon Recipe Tips
Dark brown sugar can be used instead of light if it is what you have.
For best flavor, grate your own nutmeg. It’s easy to do with a microplane.
What Type of Bourbon To Use?
There are so many great bourbons available. Use what you like best. My personal favorite is Maker’s Mark. Other great bourbons for this drink are Knobs Creek and Four Roses Bourbon.
More Holiday Cocktails
- Christmas Margaritas– Have a sweet and tart cranberry flavor.
- Sugar Cookie Martini– a wonderfully sweet dessert martini.
- Cranberry Orange Mimosa– sweet and tart with a festive red color.
- Pomegranate Martini
Hot Buttered Bourbon
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup very hot but not boiling water
- cinnamon sticks for garnish, optional
- Place butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in bourbon and hot water.
- Pour into glasses and serve.