Honey Cornbread is a moist and sweet cornbread that is the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of spicy chili.
Cornbread aficionados tend to be split between those who like cornbread with no added sugar and those who want their cornbread with a hefty dose of sweetness.
I’ll readily admit I have a major sweet tooth.
This Honey Cornbread recipe is for those who like their cornbread sweet. Instead of being sweetened with sugar, it is solely sweetened with honey. And a hefty dose of it. Two-thirds of a cup so be sure you use a honey with a really good flavor.
Because there’s honey in the batter, this cornbread is cooked at a lower oven temperature than cornbread normally is since honey browns faster than sugar. Even at a lower temperature the edges will turn a beautiful golden brown.
The honey makes this cornbread exceptionally moist and what I love about this cornbread is it’s just as good 2 days later as the day you cook it. You can’t say that about many cornbreads. It is best served with a spicy chili like this Five Alarm Chili.
How do you like your cornbread? Sweet? Or no sugar added, the old-fashioned way?
Honey Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, I used yellow cornmeal. Be sure you do NOT use self-rising
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Make sure one of your oven racks is in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square pan (or a round cake pan which is what I used) with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, honey, eggs, and butter until honey is fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and thoroughly mix the two together. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
25 thoughts on “Honey Cornbread Recipe”
Great cornbread however it was very sweet, I think next time I make it I will cut down on the honey by 1/2 if not more. However it had a great flavor!! 🙂
This isn’t the first recipe I have tried from your site that has turned out just perfect! Thank you for sharing all the wonderful recipes!