Crackling Cornbread has little pieces of pork cracklings throughout which adds so much flavor. Slather with butter and you have some of the most delicious southern cornbread ever.
Pork Cracklings are a little bit different than pork rinds. For cracklings, the fat layer under the skin is still there. The fat gives so much extra flavor and that flavor totally permeates this Crackling Cornbread.
Look for Pork Cracklings at Farmers Markets or BBQ Restaurants. You can also find them at some grocery stores in the south. I recently bought some at Bi-Lo.
This is a fairly simple and traditional cornbread made with butter, yellow self-rising cornmeal, flour, 2 eggs, and buttermilk. There’s no sugar added to this cornbread. With all the flavor of the cracklings, it would be out of place.
For this recipe you really want to use a 9-inch cast iron skillet if you have one. Cast iron is always best for cornbread. It gets the bottom really crispy. If you don’t have a cast iron pan, use a 9-inch cake pan.
You want to place the butter in the skillet and preheat the skillet until the butter is melted. Pouring the batter into a hot,buttery pan helps develop a wonderful crispness around the edges which is the best part of cornbread.
Mix the remaining ingredients together and pour them into the hot pan. It is done when it starts to get golden brown around the edges.
More Cornbread Recipes
- Hot Water Cornbread
- Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread
- Sloppy Joe Cornbread Muffins
- Bacon Cheddar Cornbread
- Honey Cornbread
- The BEST Jiffy Cornbread
- Crawfish Cornbread
- 9-inch cast iron pan
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pork cracklings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place butter in a 9-inch cast iron pan.
- Place pan in oven until butter is melted. Watch carefully. The butter will burn if left in the oven too long.
- Whisk together cornmeal and flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Stir in cracklings. Pour into hot pan with melted butter. No need to mix the butter in.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published Novemenber 19, 2018.
Recipe Source: MyRecipes.com
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.