Creamy Chicken and Collard Green Enchiladas is a creamy, hearty Mexican dish with some southern greens added in. These enchiladas make the perfect New Year’s Day meal since collard greens are supposed to bring prosperity in the New Year.
These Enchiladas with a southern twist are perfectly creamy and cheesy.
To make this recipe as easy as possible, I use a bag of frozen, chopped collard greens. This saves the time spent washing and chopping the collard greens. If you wish you can use fresh collard greens.
Four ounces of cream cheese makes the filling super creamy.
This recipe calls for 2 cups of cooked chicken. I typically use rotisserie chicken.
Pepper Jack cheese gives a little spice to these Creamy Chicken and Collard Green Enchiladas. I like to add sliced jalapenos (either fresh or pickled) on top for more heat.
The green chile enchilada sauce perfectly complements the chicken and collard greens. I use Frontera Green Chile Enchilada Sauce which comes in 8-ounce pouches. It should be easy to find with the Mexican foods at your local grocery store.
Once assembled, Creamy Chicken and Collard Greens Enchiladas only take 25 to 30 minutes to bake at which time they will be fabulously crispy and golden with tons of gooey, melted cheese.
More Mexican Favorites
Creamy Chicken and Collard Green Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 (16-ounce) package fresh chopped collard greens
- 1 cup chopped yellow or sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) block Pepper jack cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 (8-ounce) pouches green chile enchilada sauce, I use Frontera
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- sliced jalapeno and chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 13x9-inch pan.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add collards and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until collards are cooked down, about 10 minutes. Add garlic for the last 2 minutes. You don't want to cook it as long as the onion becasue it burns easily.
- Stir in cream cheese, milk, sugar, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of cheese. Keep stirring until melted. Remove from heat and stir in chicken.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and sour cream. Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towles and microwave on HIGH for about 45 seconds. This will make them more pliable and they will be less likely to tear.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla. Roll them up and place them seam side down in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce mixture over filled tortillas and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Sprinkle sliced jalapenos and cilantro on top and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
2 thoughts on “Creamy Chicken and Collard Green Enchiladas”
i will try make this at home