This Classic Chicken a la King is full of chicken, mushrooms, peas, and pimentos in a creamy and rich sauce served over puff pastry shells. The puff pastry and fancy name make it seem fancy and elegant, but this is truly a down-home meal much like Chicken Pot Pie.
If you don’t want to serve it over puff pastry, you can serve it over biscuits, toast, or rice.
This recipe uses store-bought rotisserie chicken to make a fantastically quick and easy weeknight meal. It only takes 30 minutes to make if you serve it over puff pastry shells. Less than 20 if you serve it over toast.
The sauce for this Chicken a la King is made from scratch for best flavor.
Tips for making Chicken a la King:
- I don’t usually add it, but a little celery can be cooked with the onions and carrots.
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated for 3 to 5 days. You will probably need to thin the sauce with a little milk when you reheat it.
- If you don’t want to use rotisserie chicken, you can poach some chicken to use.
More Classic Chicken Recipes:
Classic Chicken a la King
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen puff pastry shells
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup diced yellow or sweet onion
- 2/3 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained well
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place puff pastry shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onion, carrot, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are soft and mushrooms browned.
- Add salt, pepper, celery salt, and poultry seasoning. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Add peas and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in chicken and remove from heat.
- Fill each puff pastry shell with chicken mixture and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.