Creamy Chicken Bog is easy, inexpensive southern comfort food. It’s a simple combination of rice, chicken, and sausage and it is pure perfection. Serve with a side of cornbread or some homemade biscuits for a fill-your-belly southern meal!
Chicken Bog is popular in South Carolina, especially the low country. Rice dishes in general are very prevalent in South Carolina. South Carolina was the largest producer of rice in the nation from the 1700s until the Civil War and it remains an important staple in southern kitchens.
This Creamy Chicken Bog recipe has a can of cream of chicken soup added for extra flavor and creaminess and it has double the sausage. Both smoked sausage and a pound of breakfast sausage.
Chicken Bog varies quite a bit from one cook to the next, both in the method of cooking and the ingredients. I like to serve mine with lots of hot sauce to make it spicy. TABASCO Garlic Pepper Sauce is my favorite. It’s not as spicy as regular TABASCO and has wonderful flavor.
To make Creamy Chicken Bog, a whole chicken is simmered in water seasoned with salt, pepper, and celery until cooked through. Make sure the water stays at a simmer and doesn’t boil or your chicken will get tough and rubbery. The cooked chicken is shredded and the cooking liquid is saved to cook the rice.
You’ll cook the breakfast sausage in a large Dutch oven, add in the onion and the smoked sausage. Once the onion is soft, add 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, 4 cups of the cooking liquid, seasonings, a chicken bouillon cube, and a bay leaf. Add the shredded chicken, cover and place in a 350 degree oven for just under an hour. The rice will be cooked at this point and all the liquid absorbed. Leftovers reheat well.
More Southern Comfort Food
- Shrimp and Grits
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Chicken and Waffles
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 (4 to 5-pound) whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound hot ground breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 cups cooking liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- Place chicken in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water and add salt, pepper, and celery.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 50 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Let cool.Pour liquid through a fine-meshed sieve and set aside.
- Lightly grease the now empty Dutch oven. Add the breakfast sausage and cook, breaking it apart as it cooks. When it is about halfway cooked, add onion and smoked sausage.
- Continue to cook until onion is soft and sausage is cooked through.
- Add the rice, soup, 4 cups cooking liquid, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, chicken bouillon cube, and bay leaf.
- Shred chicken and add it to the Dutch oven. Stir everything together. Place lid on top and cook in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.