Chocolate Mayonnaise Sheet Cake is a moist and chocolatey sheet cake topped with a thick layer of chocolate cream cheese icing. It’s an old-fashioned southern favorite that makes a wonderful sweet ending to a meal.
This cake is very similar to this Duke’s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, but in a much easier to make sheet cake form. It will be a hit at your next potluck or cookout.
Mayonnaise cakes became popular in the 1970s. This particular Chocolate Mayonnaise Sheet Cake is moist, dense, and so full of chocolate flavor.
It has a little cinnamon in it for extra flavor. If you’re not a fan of cinnamon with chocolate, you can leave it out.
Mayonnaise is made from oil and eggs so it makes sense that it makes a good cake ingredient. Use a quality mayonnaise. I prefer to use Duke’s Mayonnaise, but Hellman’s is another good brand.
Be sure the water you add to the batter is hot. Hot water helps “bloom” the cocoa powder and prevents the cake from being dry.
If not eaten the day it is baked, this cake should be refrigerated.
The mayonnaise gives the cake a wonderful texture, but don’t worry, you won’t notice the flavor of the mayonnaise.
More Sheet Cake Recipes
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Pineapple Sheet Cake
Chocolate Mayonnaise Sheet Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 cups hot water
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla extract at medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- With mixer on low, add mayonnaise and beat just until combined.
- Alternate between adding flour mixture and hot water, (adding flour in 3 additons and water in two and beating just until mixed in before adding next addition).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.Let cool before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Whisk together the cocoa powder and powdered sugar.Beat half the mixture into the butter mixture.
- Beat in the heavy cream and then the remaining powdered sugar mixture. If too thick, add a little more cream.
- Spread frosting on cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes.com
9 thoughts on “Chocolate Mayonnaise Sheet Cake”
I craft and bake for people. I haven’t made this cake. A special lady asked for this cake for one of her Thanksgiving desserts. I chose this recipe from many with Mayo. I made a small one for us, as I was baking this one. It’s so good!!
I have made this Cale so many times and everyone loves it.
And im about to make it again for the 7th time 😅😃
Im making this yummy cake as we speak for my son whose coming for dinner 2morrow! I ddnt have anysoda/ baking powder, so instead I used 4 egg whites whipped well. Crossing me fingers🙏. I also substituted leftover warm strong cafe instead of water. Can’t wait!! I will let you know the results😋!!!!
Hope it works!
Mayonnaise cake? Ick! Even Miracle Whip which I use does NOT sound appetizing in a cake.
It’s so good !!
So don’t comment if you’re not even willing to try it. How rude. 🙄
Don’t knock it until U try it. It is a very moist deep chocolate cake. I have made them for years to rave reviews. I like vanilla frosting though.
I had a friend that said the same thing and he tried it and love and was shock you couldn’t taste the mayonnaise