Chex Scotcharoos are made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, and chocolate and butterscotch chips. They’re a no-bake dessert that’s always popular with kids.
Chex Scotcharoos are crunchy, chewy and fantastically sweet. The combination of chocolate, butterscotch, and peanut butter is magical. They make a great no-bake holiday treat or snack. In addition to being delicious, they are also gluten-free.
This recipe is quick and easy. It only takes about 15 minutes to measure everything and get the ingredients mixed together.
How To Make Chex Scotcharoos
- Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish really well.
- Place the cereal in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring the corn syrup and sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the peanut butter.
- Pour mixture over the cereal and mix it in. Transfer to prepared dish. Press it evenly into the baking dish, mashing it down some.
- Melt the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and 1/2 cup of peanut butter in the microwave. Pour over cereal mixture.
- Cut them when they have completely cooled.
- Have all of the ingredients measured out so you can work quickly.
- You can use either corn or rice Chex cereal.
- To get clean cuts on the bars, place your knife in hot water and then wipe dry with a kitchen towel. Reheat the knife every few cuts.
- Instead of making bars, you can make them into cookie form by shaping the mixture into mounds.
- Usually Scotcharoos do well at room temperature, but if your house is warm, you may need to refrigerate them to keep the chocolate layer firm.
Try These Other No-Bake Desserts
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Oreo Delight
- No-Bake Butterscotch Pie
- No-Bake Strawberry Lasagna
Chex Scotcharoos are made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, and chocolate and butterscotch chips. They're a no-bake dessert that's always popular with kids.
- 6 cups Chex cereal (rice or corn)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter, divided
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a large bowl and a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Place cereal in the bowl. Set aside.
- Place corn syrup and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups peanut butter.
- Pour mixture over cereal and mix well. Transfer to prepared baking dish, pressing it down evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Place chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter and vanilla in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Pour over cereal mixture. Cool completely before cutting into squares.