This Cherry Sheet Cake has a gorgeous color and is bursting with cherry flavor. It’s covered in an almond-flavored cream cheese icing. So delicious for Valentine’s Day or a potluck.
The icing is a wonderful mixture of butter and cream cheese with a little almond extract. The cream cheese flavor isn’t overpowering in this light and luscious frosting.
How To Make Cherry Sheet Cake
First you’ll combine your wet ingredients (milk, cherry juice, and vanilla) in a measuring cup.
Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
With the mixer on LOW, add the shortening and half the milk mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to get everything evenly mixed. Next add the remaining milk mixture and the egg whites. Beat on LOW for 2 minutes.
Fold in the cherries and the pecans. Transfer the batter to a 9×13-inch pan sprayed with baking spray. Bake for about 30 minutes.
You can leave the pecans out but I love the buttery crunch they add.
It’s really important to sift cake flour. Cake flour is very fine and gets packed down and clumped together in the box. Sift some cake flour into a bowl and then measure out 2 1/2 cups for the recipe. Then you are going to sift it together with the dry ingredients. If you skip pre-sifting, you will measure out too much flour and have a dry cake.
More Cherry Desserts
- Cherry Chocolate Cobbler
- White Cake with Maraschino Cherry Frosting
- Cherry Almond Cola Bread
- Cherry Almond Mousse Pie
- Cherry Poke Cake
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 large egg whites
- 22 finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- maraschino cherries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
- Combine milk, cherry juice, and vanilla in a glass measuring cup. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add shortening and half the milk mixture and beat at low speed using the whisk attachment for 2 minutes.Note: Or you can use a hand-held mixer.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add remaining milk mixture and egg whites and beat on low speed for 2 more minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Fold in the cherries and pecans and transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs.Let cool before frosting.
- To make the icing, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add milk and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar one cup at a time and then the almond extract. Beat really well and then spread on cake.
- Place cherries on top for garnish.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.