Cherry Poke Cake is an easy poke cake with a patriotic look. Made with a box of white cake mix, cherry gelatin, and canned cherry pie filling, this gorgeous red dessert is a breeze to make.
Poke cakes are one of my favorite things to make for potlucks and large gatherings. They can be made ahead of time and left in the refrigerator until ready to serve and they can feed an army. Plus, poke cakes are so moist, there’s no need to worry about them drying out.
With both cherry gelatin and cherry pie filling, this poke cakes has tons of cherry flavor.
Tips for making Cherry Poke Cake:
- Let the cream cheese get really soft, or it will be lumpy.
- I find 1 can of cherry pie filling is not enough, but 2 full cans is almost too much. One and a half cans seems like the perfect amount but you be the judge. If you don’t use all of the second can, save it and use it to serve over vanilla ice cream.
- This poke cake will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- You could use a chocolate cake mix to make a Black Forest-style cake.
- To make the cake look even more patriotic, use a box of blue jello instead of cherry.
- To lighten this recipe up some, use reduced-fat cream cheese, light pie filling, sugar-free gelatin, and fat-free or sugar-free whipped topping.
More Poke Cake Recipes:
Cherry Poke Cake
- 1 regular-sized box white cake mix
- ingredients needed to make the cake
- 1 (3-ounce) package cherry gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups Cool Whip or fresh whipped cream
- 2 (21-ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch pan. Bake cake according to package directions. Cool cake for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water. Poke holes all over the top of the cake with a wooden skewer or large fork.
- Slowly pour the gelatin over the cake so that it seeps down into the holes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in sugar. Fold in Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Sread cream cheese mixture over top of cake.
- Spread cherries over cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Recipe slightly adapted from Taste of Home