This Chocolate Poke Cake is amazingly chocolatey and so moist. So easy to make with a box of cake mix and a supremely delicious frosting. One slice of this ultra rich cake and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to chocolate heaven.
Poke cakes are such a fun dessert to make and they are great for potlucks since they can be made ahead of time and are perfect for serving lots of people.
To make this Chocolate Poke Cake, you’ll start with a box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix and bake it according to package directions in a 9×13-inch pan. You’ll poke a bunch of holes in it and pour a mixture of sweetened condensed milk mixed with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips over the cake so that it seeps down in the holes.
Then you’ll spread on a delicious homemade chocolate frosting made from butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and heavy cream. As a finishing touch, sprinkle on some mini chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor.
CAN I MAKE THIS POKE CAKE FROM SCRATCH?
If you don’t want to use a cake mix, you can bake a from-scratch devil’s food cake or any chooclate cake recipe in a 9×13-inch pan. Then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving and store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Try these other Poke Cake Recipes:
- Coconut Cream Poke Cake
- Hummingbird Poke Cake
- Irish Cream Poke Cake
- Easy Strawberry Poke Cake
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 1 regular-sized box devil's food chocolate cake mix
- ingredients to make cake
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Make cake according to package directions in a 9x13-inch pan.
- Let cake cool and then poke holes all over it with the end of a wooden spoon or a large serving fork.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate chips. Slowly pour over the cake.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Place the butter in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat it until fluffy.
- Add half the powdered sugar mixture and the vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar mixture and heavy cream and beat until fluffy. Spread on cake.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.