This Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole from scratch is a real crowd pleaser. Made with fresh broccoli and cheddar cheese, it’s super creamy and there’s no canned soup.
I’m a huge fan of Broccoli Rice Casseroles. When I’m in a pinch, I make this Broccoli Rice Casserole which uses rice and canned soup to make an easy casserole.
But you really can’t beat the flavor of this from-scratch casserole. You have the peace of mind of knowing exactly what’s in it.
I like to use fresh broccoli for this casserole, but you could use frozen broccoli.
To make Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole start by sauteing some onion, celery, and mushrooms in some butter. You can leave the mushrooms out if you wish.
Once the veggies are soft, add some garlic powder and flour. Whisk in 2 cups of milk and simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and a little cayenne pepper. Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, some sour cream and mayonnaise.
Two and a half cups of long-grain rice gets mixed in. The mixture gets transferred to a casserole dish. Panko crumbs get scattered across the top. They cook up wonderfully buttery and crispy.
More Casserole Recipes
- Lima Bean Casserole
- Mashed Potato and Green Bean Casserole
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole (from scratch)
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and mushrooms. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic powder and flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken.
- Add salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Remove from heat and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add sour cream and mayonnaise and stir to mix.
- Stir in rice and broccoli. Transfer to a greased 9X13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- In a bowl, mix together melted butter and Panko crumbs. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.