Charleston Chewies are irresistible buttery bars loaded with crunchy pecans. They have a wonderful chewy texture.
What Are Charleston Chewies?
Charleston Chewies are basically brown sugar blondies with lots of pecans. This particular recipe is also flavored with a little almond extract. My favorite extract! They have a fabulous chewy texture and are perfect for potlucks and picnics.
Makes Use Of Pantry Ingredients
What You’ll Need:
- Salted Butter- you can use unsalted butter instead and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Self-Rising Flour- if you don’t have self-rising flour you can use 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt
- Powdered Sugar
These bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 to 5 days.
During the baking process, the center will puff up and then collapse, creating a really dense and chewy middle.
Don’t Have Pecans?
Pecans are the most southern of nuts and I love their buttery flavor. You can substitute walnuts or macadamia nuts.
Dust with powdered sugar for a little extra sweetness.
Use parchment paper to line the baking dish and you will easily be able to lift the bars out of the baking dish and cut them perfectly.
More Fabulous Bar Recipes
- Buttermilk Chess Bars
- Hello Dolly Bars
- Butterscotch Toffee Cheesecake Bars
- Nutella Fudge Bars
- Southern Chess Squares
- Chocolate and Peanut Graham Bars
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar and both extracts.
- Let cool some and then whisk in eggs.
- Stir in flour and then pecans.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Let cool completely.
- Sift powdered sugar on top and cut into squares.