Buttermilk Chocolate Cupcakes with Toffee Frosting- a moist, tender cupcake topped with a thick, rich, and creamy toffee frosting with a little crunch. These cupcakes are wonderfully decadent. If you are chocolate obsessed, you will love these cupcakes. The buttery toffee crunch makes them even more irresistible.
The cupcake batter for these Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Toffee Frosting is a real winner. It’s a great cupcake recipe to have and would taste great with any frosting.
The key to this cupcake batter is the buttermilk. It makes the cupcakes wonderfully moist and tender.
Tips for making Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Toffee Frosting
- Only fill the cupcake liners halfway. Any more and they will be too full which will either result in the cupcakes sinking in the middle or you will have big mushroom tops.
- I use alot of buttermilk for everything form Buttermilk Pancakes to Buttermilk Pie. But if you don’t have any you can make an easy buttermilk substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a glass measuring cup and then adding milk to the 1 cup line. Let sit 5 minutes before using.
- You can also freeze buttermilk in ice cube trays if you have some that will go bad before you have a chance to use it.
More Cupcake Recipes
Buttermilk Chocolate Cupcakes with Toffee Frosting- a moist, tender cupcake topped with a thick, rich, and creamy toffee frosting with a little crunch. These cupcakes are wonderfully decadent. If you are chocolate obsessed, you will love these cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond brickle chips or toffee bits, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Combine buttermilk and water.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk mixture, and beginning and ending with flour mixture.
Fill muffin tins halfway with batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
To make frosting, whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar mixture until smooth. Beat in milk and vanilla and then the remaining powdered sugar mixture until smooth.
Stir in 3/4 cup toffee bits. Spread frosting on cupcakes. Sprinkle with remining toffee bits.