This homemade Broccoli with Cheddar Sauce is so much better than frozen broccoli with cheese sauce. It’s a real favorite with kids.
Instead of lots of pieces of chopped brocolli stalk in a goopy sauce, you have tender, crisp broccoli florets drizzled with an easy sauce that has lots of cheddar flavor as well as a little Parmesan flavor.
How To Make Broccoli with Cheddar Sauce
- Steam the broccoli for 4 to 5 minutes. I like it crisp tender, but if you like it really soft, cook it longer.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and simmer until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and add the salt, pepper, and both cheeses. Stir until cheese is melted and remove from heat. Add some more milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Drizzle sauce over broccoli.
If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can steam the broccoli in the microwave. Place it in a microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water over it. Cover with plastic wrap or place a microwave-safe plate on top of the bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 2 1/2 minutes. Check to see if it is done. If not, cover and continue to microwave for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Be careful when removing the plastic wrap or plate. The steam will be very hot.
For best results, do not use preshredded cheese. Use a block of cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese and shred them yourself.
Add Some Spice
If you want your cheese sauce to be a little spicy, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
More Ways To Serve The Sauce
This sauce also tastes great over steamed cauliflower or a baked potato.
More Broccoli Recipes
- Broccoli Crescent Squares
- Broccoli Strawberry Salad
- Spicy Roasted Broccoli
- Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Broccoli Cheese Balls
- Broccoli Cheese Dip
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets, (8 to 9 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add an inch of water to a large saucepan. Place a steamer basket in the pot. Bring water to a boil and add the broccoli. Cover and steam for 4 to 5 minutes.
- While broccoli is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer.
- Turn eat to low and stir in salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add more milk if too thick. Remove from heat.
- Spoon sauce over broccoli.