Breakfast Mac and Cheese with lots of sausage and a crumbled biscuit topping is a truly original way to start the day.
I’ve had this Mac and Cheese recipe from Dinner or Dessert pinned to my Mac and Cheese Pinterest Board for a while and I finally got around to making it on Tuesday when my kids were home for a snow day, really an ice day. It’s a very rare treat when we get actual fluffy snow in South Carolina.
There’s a whole lot of flavor in this mac and cheese: 3 kinds of cheese (pepper jack, colby, and cheddar), a jalapeno pepper, diced red bell pepper, and my favorite part- the crumbled biscuit topping. I used a small can of Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits, but you could use homemade.
You can change this breakfast Mac and Cheese up to suit your tastes. Use bacon instead of sausage or leave the jalapeno out and substitute monterey jack for the pepper jack if you don’t like your foods spicy. I’ve used Cavatappi pasta, but any pasta shape can be used.
Any day started with mac and cheese is a great day!
Breakfast Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound of pasta, I used cavatappi shaped pasta
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, discard seeds and dice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 5 or 6 toasted breakfast biscuits, homemade or the from the refrigerated aisle of the grocery store, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta to al dente and drain.
- In a large pan, cook sausage, crumbling it with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once no longer pink, remove it to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, red pepper, and jalapeno to grease in pan and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon onion mixture into bowl with sausage.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened. Turn heat off and add 2/3 of the cheese. Stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta, and reserved sausage/onion mixture. Stir until evenly mixed. Pour into a buttered casserole dish or cast iron pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs together and then stir in the remaining cheese plus the crumbled biscuits. Pour this mixture on top of the mac and cheese.
- Place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe Source: adapted from Dinner or Dessert
More Favorite Mac and Cheese Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.