Breakfast Biscuit Bubble Up is an easy to make breakfast casserole full of crumbled sausage, cheese, eggs, and biscuit pieces.
Breakfast casseroles are a favorite of mine around the holidays. This casserole can be prepped ahead of time and then it takes 35 to 45 minutes to bake.
What Is A Bubble Up Casserole?
A bubble up casserole is made with refrigerated biscuits that have been cut into pieces. The biscuit pieces get mixed with the rest of the casserole ingredients. As they bake, they puff up and bubble up around the other ingredients.
This recipe is easy to customize. Leave out the onion or the bell pepper if you don’t like one of them. Mushrooms can be used instead. Diced ham or crumbled bacon can be used instead of sausage. A combination of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese can be used instead or Colby Jack cheese or cheddar cheese.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and can be reheated in the microwave or toaster oven.
Is This Dish Spicy?
As is, this dish is not spicy. To make it spicy, use “Hot” breakfast sausage or add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
To make sure the casserole is fully cooked, use a knife or a fork to check the center and make sure the eggs are set. If the top starts getting too brown before it is set, cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
The casserole can be assembled the night before and refrigerated. It will take slightly longer to bake. Or you can cook the sausage, onion, and peppers the day before and refrigerate them to shorten your prep time.
More Breakfast Casseroles To Try
- Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Grits Casserole with Smoked Sausage
- Overnight Sausage and Caramelized Onion Breakfast Casserole
- Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage and Cheese English Muffin Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 large can refrigerated biscuits
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until sausage is browned. Set aside.
- Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces and scatter in the bottom of prepared baking dish.Scatter sausage mixture on top of biscuits.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of sausage.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture evenly into the baking dish.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until eggs are set.