Blackberry Buttermilk Pie is an ultra sweet and tart southern pie with fresh, plump blackberries baked into the custard filling. Such a wonderful southern pie for blackberry lovers.
Buttermilk Pie is one of my favorite southern desserts. It is a simple pie with an ultra-sweet filling that has a little tang from the buttermilk. The addition of the blackberries adds some tartness and additional flavor.
You can use either a homemade pie crust or a refrigerated pie crust for this recipe. You want it to be unbaked. A frozen pie crust can be used as well. Let it sit on the counter for 5 to 10 minutes before filling it.
How To Tell If The Pie Is Done
The pie should take about 50 to 60 minutes to fully cook. There should still be some jiggle in the middle when you shake it but it should mostly be set. It will further set up as it chills.
Blackberry Buttermilk Pie Recipe Tips
Place the pie pan on a baking sheet before placing it in the oven. Then you don’t have to worry about spilling the filling or the filling overflowing.
If the pie crust burns too quickly, put a pie shield on it or loosely wrap aluminum foil around the edges of the crust.
How To Serve
This pie is best eaten cold or at room temperature with some fresh whipped cream. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
This pie can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days if it is wrapped well.
More Blackberry Recipes
- Blackberry Cheesecake Icebox Pie
- Blackberry Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream
- Blackberry Cream Pie
- Kentucky Blackberry Jam Cake
- Blackberries and Cream Angel Food Cake
- 1 pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1 heaping cup fresh blackberries
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.Scatter blackberries in pie crust.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until blended.
- Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in a medium bowl to get the lumps out.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir just until combined.Pour mixture over blackberries.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until it just has a little jiggle in the middle when you shake it.
- Cool on counter for 30 minutes.Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.