Blackberries and Cream Angel Food Cake is a delicious summer dessert that’s easy to make with a store-bought angel food cake. It’s a great way to use fresh blackberries.
The angel food cake gets hollowed out and filled with an easy blackberry sauce, fresh blackberries and an almond-flavored whipped cream with a little sour cream added for tang. When you slice it, there’s a gorgeous hidden surprise inside.
I’ve made a strawberry version of this recipe in the past, but I think I love this blackberry one even more. I love their sweet/tart flavor and they are absolutely gorgeous this time of year.
HOW TO MAKE BLACKBERRIES AND CREAM ANGEL FOOD CAKE:
- Make the blackberry sauce. You will need to strain it to remove the seeds.
- Hollow out the cake.
- Make the whipped cream filling.
- Stuff the cake.
- Place top back on the cake and frost it.
Be sure to purchase the angel food cake no more than a day in advance. You want it to be fresh.
You won’t use the pieces of angel food cake you remove when you hollow out the cake for this recipe. You can snack on them or use them in a trifle.
As a shortcut, you can use a 16-ounce container of Cool Whip instead of making fresh whipped cream.
Should be chilled for at least 1 hour before serving.
Tip for making whipped cream: Place the bowl and the beaters in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes beforehand. The cream will whip much more easily if everything is cold.
Try These Other Amazing Blackberry Recipes:
- Blackberry Buttermilk Loaf Cake
- Blackberry Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream
- Blackberry Cheesecake Icebox Pie
- Blackberry Cream Pie
- Kentucky Blackberry Jam Cake
Blackberries and Cream Angel Food Cake
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (9-inch) prepared angel food cake
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Blackberry sauce
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- fresh blackberries and mint for garnish
- Make Blackberry Sauce. Cook blackberries, sugar, and water over medium-low heat in a small saucepan for about 10 minutes. Mash the blackberries up as they cook. Let cool.
- Process mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve. Discard the solids.
- Cut 1/2 an inch off the top of the cake. Hollow out the cake leaving 1/2-inch border on the sides and bottom.
- In a large bowl, beat cream, confectioners' sugar, and almond extract with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in sour cream.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of Blackberry Sauce in the hollowed out part of the cake. Scatter the blackberries in the cake. Add whipped cream mixture to fill the hollowed out portion.
- Swirl the remaining Blackberry sauce into the remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Place the top of the cake back on and spread whipped cream mixture on the top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Garnish with blackberries and mint leaves.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen
2 thoughts on “Blackberries and Cream Angel Food Cake”
Delicious! My family of 8 loved it! We enjoyed it for Michelmas (the Feast of St. Michael, the Archangel), since traditional foods on this feast day include blackberries…there’s a legend about the devil and a blackberry bush…look it up. Angel food cake made it that much more symbolic. Thanks for the perfect feast day dessert!