Biscuits and Gravy Pie is the ultimate southern breakfast. A thick and creamy sausage gravy in a buttery pie crust is topped with biscuits and baked until golden. Pure breakfast heaven!
Biscuits and Gravy doesn’t get any better than this and it is a cinch to make with a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust and refrigerated biscuits.
This Biscuits and Gravy Pie is kind of like a breakfast pot pie. The sausage gravy is super simple to make. Just brown and crumble a pound of breakfast sausage in a nonstick pan. Add some flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in 3 cups of milk and simmer until thickened.
Tips for making Biscuits and Gravy Pie:
- Alot of people don’t like the taste of refrigerated biscuits and I get that. Instead of using them, you can just whip up a batch of your favorite buttermilk biscuit dough. Cut it into pieces with a sharp knife and arrange on top. Same thing goes for the pie crust. Make a homemade one if you wish.
- If you wish to make this dish spicy, use hot breakfast sausage or add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sausage gravy.
You’ll need to briefly prebake the pie crust for this recipe. You’ll place a piece of parchment paper and either some dried beans or pie weights on top of it to prevent the crust from puffing up.
A fan of Biscuits and Gravy? Try these other Biscuits and Gravy Recipes:
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole– great for making for a crowd or a holiday brunch.
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Chorizo Sausage Gravy– the slight sweetness of the biscuits goes so well with the spicy gravy.
- Biscuits and Gravy Ring– a ring of biscuits surrounds a pool of sausage gravy.
- Sausage Gravy Stuffed Biscuits– turns Biscuits and Gravy into a hand-held meal.
- Sausage Gravy Biscuit Cups– very kid-friendly.
Biscuits and Gravy Pie
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 (5-count) Grands refrigerated biscuits
- Brown sausage in a nonstick skillet, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- When no pink is left, sprinkle flour over sausage. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Unroll pie dough and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the edges, place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom and fill with dried beans. Place in a 450 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove beans and parchment paper.
- Transfer the sausage gravy into the pie crust. Place a whole biscuit on top of the gravy in the middle of the pie. Cut remaining biscuits to fit the empty spaces.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes.