Weekends are all about breakfast foods for me. These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, but not too sweet and have plenty of chocolate chips. They are perfect for using up overripe bananas and your family will gladly eat them for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.
Nothing fancy here, just simple, homemade flavor.
I like to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins in the evening and have them ready to go as a quick grab and go breakfast for my kids before school. Getting teenagers to eat in the morning is not an easy task.
They truly are delicious muffins and I think I like them every bit as much as Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins which are up there with my favorite muffins of all time.
I kept these muffins really simple and plain so that they are super easy to make, but you could add a streusel topping if you like.
Be sure to use really ripe bananas. The bananas add alot of the moistness and sweetness to the muffins.
Only fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Any fuller and they will rise and overflow the cups some.
Note: You can either mix the batter in a bowl by hand. If you do this, mash the bananas really weel with a fork before you mix the wet ingredients together. Or you can use an electric mixer. Then you can just let the mixer mash the bananas.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 2 large
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, both sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry just until there are no large streaks of flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full and bake until muffin tops are firm when pressed gently, about 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published February 20, 2015.
Recipe Source: adapted from Epicurious
More Muffin Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.