Almond Poppy Seed Pound Cake is an easy bundt cake flavored with almond extract and poppy seeds plus an almond-flavored glaze.
Made in a bundt pan, this moist pound cake serves a lot of people and stays fresh tasting for days. Like most pound cakes, it tastes even better the day after it is baked.
Almond-flavored desserts are some of my favorites. Scroll down for more almond-flavored dessert recipes.
This cake is made with your typical pound cake ingredients and is wonderfully buttery in flavor. You’ll need unsalted butter, granulated sugar, vanilla and almond extract, eggs, flour, baking powder, buttermilk, salt and poppy seeds. Poppy seeds go magically with almond flavoring and have a distinctive flavor and nice crunch.
ALMOND POPPY SEED POUND CAKE RECIPE TIPS:
Use a good quality baking spray with flour and spray the bundt pan really well with it so the cake doesn’t stick.
A pound cake will usually let you know it is done. You will all of a sudden start to smell it. To make sure it is done, stick a toothpick into it. It should come out clean or with a few crumbs attached to it. If it is wet, the cake is not finished cooking.
If you only have salted butter, you can use it and reduce the salt to 1/2 a teaspoon.
Can be frozen for later use. Just be sure to wrap it well so it doesn’t get freezer burned.
Try These Other Almond Flavored Desserts:
- Amaretto Pound Cake
- Orange Almond Sheet Cake
- Almond Joy Cake
- Almond Cake with Amaretto Filling
- Chocolate Amaretto Cheesecake
Almond Poppy Seed Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter, sugar, and extracts until fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions. Beat just until combined after each addition.
- With mixer on low, add poppy seeds.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.Bake for 65 to 75 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a serving platter or cake stand.
- To make glaze, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, milk, and almond extract in a medium bowl.Drizzle over cooled cake. Sprinkle with almonds.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.