This homemade Amaretto Pound Cake has lots of almond flavor from both Amaretto and almond extract. It’s buttery, moist, and sweet and I love to serve it slightly warmed with fresh whipped cream and a few sliced strawberries.
If you grew up in the south, you’ve no doubt eaten many pound cakes. My grandmother always had one when we visited her. She didn’t bake, but friends were always bringing them to her.
One of the most wonderful things about pound cake is it can feed a lot of people and it freezes really well. I’ll typically freeze half of it. Then I have something to share if I have unexpected guests.
When it comes to pound cakes, you can’t beat this Amaretto Pound Cake. It is fantastically delicious! It has plenty of almond flavor, but it is not overpowering.
Tips for making Pound Cake.
- For maximum volume, start with room temperature ingredients.
- Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. This can take anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes.
- Once the eggs are added, beat as little as possible. Just long enough to get the flour mixed in.
- Make sure your Bundt pan is greased very well.
More Southern Cakes
Amaretto Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, (I use salted) room temperature
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Amaretto
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan with baking spray.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Use an electric stand mixer to cream butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time. Scarped down the sides of the bowl and beat well after each addition.
- Mix in amaretto and almond extract.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk. beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 80 to 90 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Call Me PMc
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
17 thoughts on “Amaretto Pound Cake”
Totally awesome. Sweet and tender and it baked perfectly.
Can you make it in loaf pans what temp and how long.
Hello! I don’t have shortening, so can I replace it with butter? Thank you!
A recipe like this always inspire and i truly appreciate the way you made this cake. Everything is so nicely described that really helped. Looking forward for more such delicious recipes in future too.
Just took it out of the oven, haven’t tasted yet! Smelled done way before suggested time to bake. The house smells great can’t wait for dessert!
This cake is a FIVE STAR Recipe! The Very Best Pound Cake that I have ever made. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Something this Great should be shared.
The recipe awesome but as a Bakers I added twist to my cake . By add a Amaretta , almonds , butter , brown sugar glaze . It’s a amazing taste to the cake . Can’t go wrong with this cake . Wow that all I can say 😋
Did you heat the ingredients for the glaze?
your glaze sounds amazing. I have amaretto, almonds, butter and brown sugar, but what steps do you take to “make the glaze”? I’m a little new at making glazes. lol…
Haven’t tasted it yet, just came out of the oven! I must say though that it was done 15 minutes earlier than the 85 minutes I set the timer for. It smelled done, if you know what I mean, so I checked it and sure enough, it was done. It’s going to be so moist and delicious, I can tell. It would have been dry if I had left it in for the full time. Everyone’s oven is different so please check on the cake when it’s baking! I’ve been baking cakes for a long time, I can’t explain the “smelled done”. I just know somehow! Can’t wait to taste it later for dessert! Thank you!
Love all your recipes! Question… could I possibly add semi sweet chocolate chips to this recipe?
I’m in love with this cake! Can’t beat the almond flavor!
Incredible. One of the best cake recipes I’ve ever made.
That is a great post on Amaretto Pound Cake. I really like that and Soon i am going to try this one at home.Thank You!
Pics looks good.Cake is looking delicious. learn new recipe.I will share with others.
Wow Really nice cake I’m very like to eat cakes thank you for your post