7-Up Cake is an old-fashioned favorite and one of my all-time favorite recipes. With a pound cake-like texture and a fabulous lemon flavor, this cake recipe is one you will turn to again and again. Many 7-Up Cakes are made from boxed cake mix, but this one is made from scratch resulting in a vastly superior texture and taste.
7-Up Cake is right up there with Vanilla Wafer Cake when it comes to my favorite retro cakes.
The texture and flavor of this cake is spot on. Interestingly, there is no leavener in this cake. The 7-Up does something magical to both the texture and the flavor.
This recipe includes a lemon glaze, but frankly I think the cake is better without it. This is one of those simple recipes that has stood the test of time and really shouldn’t be messed with too much.
This cake is easy to make but bundt pans can be finicky. Make sure you grease and flour it well and do not let the cake stay in the pan too long after you take it out of the oven. Ten to 15 minutes is plenty to let it cool before removing it from the pan.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 7-UP or Sprite
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the 7UP, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Beat butter, shortening, and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, alternating with egg mixture, in 2 batches.
- Transfer the batter to prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out on a rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over cake.
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
You Might Also Like
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.