Pineapple 7-Up Cake is a lemon-flavored cake covered in a thick, luscious pineapple-coconut frosting. Made with cake mix and instant pudding mix, this cake is fabulously moist and easy to make. Perfect for summer potlucks with its bright citrusy and pineapple flavors.
Baking with soft drinks has been popular in the south for generations. You’ll find recipes for this cake in lots of old southern church cookbooks. It’s a popular potluck dessert.
The 7-Up in this cake not only gives the cake more citrus flavor, it also lightens up the texture. The gooey, sweet icing is the perfect contrast for the lightly textured cake.
Tips for making Pineapple 7-Up Cake:
If you want less lemon flavor, you can use a box of vanilla pudding mix instead of lemon-flavored pudding mix.
The frosting will soak into the cake some, making it even more moist. To prevent it from soaking in too much, let the frosting cool and thicken slightly before spreading it on the cake.
Add more or less coconut to the frosting based on personal preferences.
If you like pecans, some toasted chopped pecans taste great in the frosting. Add 1/2 a cup or a little more.
This cake should be stored in the refrigerator.
More Recipes Using Soft Drinks:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant lemon pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups 7-Up soda
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, and vegetable oil until well mixed.
- Beat in 7-Up until batter has an even consistency. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake feels firm when you press on the top.
- Prepare the frosting while the cake is baking. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar and flour.
- Add the eggs, butter, and pineapple and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens up.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut. Pour over cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?