Vanilla Wafer Bourbon Balls are made with vanilla wafers and pecans and coated in powdered sugar. With a heavy dose of bourbon, they are definitely an adult-only treat.
Southern Bourbon Balls
Bourbon Balls are an easy no-bake southern candy that’s perfect for your holiday cookie tray or a Kentucky Derby Party. There are several different variations of Bourbon Balls and I’ll be honest with you. I like these Vanilla Wafer Bourbon Balls, but I much prefer these Bourbon Balls.
But this version with crushed Vanilla Wafers has been popular for ages so there must be lots of people out there who enjoy them.
Ingredients Needed For Vanilla Wafer Bourbon Balls
- A box of Vanilla Wafers.
- 1 cup of finely chopped toasted pecans. Walnuts can be used instead of pecans.
- Powdered Sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder– for a little chocolate flavor.
- Light Corn Syrup– acts as a glue to hold everything together. Dark corn syrup can be used instead.
What Kind Of Bourbon
The bourbon flavor in these Bourbon Balls is really strong so use a good quality bourbon. I use Makers Mark, Four Roses or Woodford Reserve.
- Food Processor– used to grind the cookies. If you don’t have one you can place them in a ziptop bag and crush them with something heavy.
How To Make
This recipe is so easy to make. Just mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and then shape into 3/4-inch to 1-inch balls. You can roll them immediately in powdered sugar or refrigerate them and roll them in sugar just before serving.
More Southern Candy Recipes
- Martha Washington Candy
- Buckeye Balls
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- Classic Rum Balls
- Bourbon Graham Cracker Candy
- (11-ounce) box Vanilla wafers
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- powdered sugar for coating
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground or place them in a ziptop bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Place cookie crumbs in a large bowl with pecans, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Stir to mix well.
- In a bowl stir together bourbon and corn syrup. Pour over cookie crumb mixture. Stir until all the cookie crumbs are moistened.
- Shape into 3/4 to 1-inch balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Place about 1 cup of powdered sugar in a bowl. Roll the bourbon balls in powdered sugar and place back on tray. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.