This Slow Cooker Swiss Steak turns an inexpensive cut of meat into tender pieces of meat coated in a rich tomato sauce flavored with garlic, onion, and green pepper. Makes a great family meal.
What Is Swiss Steak?
Swiss steak has nothing to do with Switzerland. The term “swiss” refers to the method by which the steak is cooked. Typically the meat is pounded to tenderize it. It is then browned in some oil and braised in tomato sauce.
Why Cook Swiss Steak in a Slow Cooker?
Typically Swiss Steak is braised in a pot on the stove, but it really does well in the slow cooker. Slow cookers are known for being good at turning chewy, inexpensive cuts of meat into wonderfully tender meat. If you are looking for a stovetop recipe, here is my other favorite Swiss Steak recipe.
What Type of Meat to Use
Typically Swiss Steak is made with an inexpensive cut of meat. I like to use cubed steak. Cubed steak is either top round or top sirloin that has been tenderized. Pounding leaves indentations in the meat which give it the name “cubed steak”. It’s perfectly acceptable to buy top round or top sirloin and tenderize it yourself, but store bought cubed steak is pretty inexpensive.
How Long To Cook
You first brown the steak in a skillet and then it needs to slow cook for 5 to 6 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH. It should be fall apart tender at the end of cooking time.
Is This Dish Spicy?
This slow cooker dinner has a little heat from 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. To make it spicier, double the amount of red pepper flakes or add a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper.
What To Serve With It
I love to serve this meal over mashed potatoes or white rice with a side of peas, green beans, or a side salad. Can also be served over pasta or noodles.
More Slow Cooker Dinners
- Crock Pot Cubed Steak with Gravy
- Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles with Mushrooms
- Slow Cooker Spicy Cabbage Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds cubed steak
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup Wocestershire sauce
- 2 (14-5-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Season cubed steaks with salt and pepper.Place flour in a shallow bowl and press both sides of each piece of cubed steak into flour.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cubed steak and cook just until brown on both sides.
- Place onion and green pepper in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Place browned cubed steaks on top of them.
- To the slow cooker, add the Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, thyme, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and garlic. Mix the tomato paste in.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Want to Save This Recipe?