Slow Cooker Brown Sugar and Cola Glazed Ham- this ham is so tender, delicious, and wonderfully flavored after cooking in the crock pot all day. Only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time needed to make this amazing holiday ham.
It’s such a huge destressor to cook part of a holiday meal in a slow cooker to free up oven space. And when you cook a ham in the slow cooker, there’s no need to worry about it drying out.
The glaze is a simple mixture of cola, brown sugar, ground mustard, and pepper. You’ll pour it over the ham, cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Then you’ll rub 1/2 cup of brown sugar on the top of the ham. It will form a little bit of crust on the ham. Cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
What type of ham to use?
You want a fully-cooked, bone-in ham for this recipe. It should be about 8 to 9 pounds. I prefer a spiral-cut ham. The glaze works its way down into the cracks between the slices. If your ham is not pre-sliced, take a sharp knife and scrore it in a diamond pattern. This will help trap some of the glaze.
What to do if the ham doesn’t fit in your slow cooker?
If your ham is too big for your slow cooker, you can strategically cut some of it off. Then when you get the ham in the crock pot, you can stuff the pieces you cut off into the voids around the ham.
Slow Cooker Brown Sugar and Cola Glazed Ham Recipe Tips:
- Either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar can be used.
- Any type of cola can be used. Both Coke and Dr. Pepper work well.
- If you don’t have ground mustard, you can use a few teaspoons of Dijon mustard.
- To add a little spice to the glaze, add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Wonderful southern sides to serve with ham:
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Spicy Collard Greens
- Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Southern Potato Salad
Have Leftover Ham? Try one of these recipes.
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Casserole
- Creamy Ham and Tortellini Soup with White Beans
Slow Cooker Brown Sugar and Cola Glazed Ham
- 1 (8 to 9-pound) fully cooked, bone-in spiral cut ham
- 1 (12-ounce) can cola , Coke or Dr Pepper work well
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the ham in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of the cola to use in the glaze and pour the remaining cola over the ham.
- In a small bowl stir together the 1/2 cup of cola, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, ground mustard, and pepper. Slowly pour glaze over ham, letting it seep down between the slices.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Open slow cooker and rub the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the top of the ham.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer ham to a serving platter.
- Transfer 2 cups of the cooking liquid to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until thickened some.
- Serve ham with thickened glaze.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.