This is an easy but tasty lasagna flavored with sausage and large dollops of ricotta cheese and sprinkled with fresh basil. It’s cooked in a skillet and can be made start to finish in less than 45 minutes.
Even better, you won’t spend all night cleaning every bowl and plate in your kitchen since all you really dirty is a cutting board and a skillet. This is a one pot meal. Gotta love a skillet lasagna!
Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods but I rarely make it because of the time involvement. This recipe however couldn’t be easier. You basically just make a meat sauce and then add broken lasagna noodles to the sauce to cook. At the end you stir in some Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and dollop with ricotta cheese to finish.
It’s best to use a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, but you can also use a baking sheet to cover the skillet. The hardest part of the recipe is determining just when the noodles are cooked through.
Tips for Making Skillet Lasagna:
- You can use ground beef instead of ground sausage if you want, or a combination of the two.
- Be sure to stir the lasagna a few times as it cooks so that the noodles cook evenly. They will be sticking out of the liquid quite a bit at the beginning, but as they soften, it will be easier to get them all submerged.
More Lasagna Recipes:
- Cajun Shrimp Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
- Lasagna Dip
- Southwestern Chicken Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Lasagna Zucchini Boats
- Chicken Bacon & Ranch Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until onion starts to get translucent, about 3 minutes. Push onion to edges of pan and add Italian sausage. Break sausage apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the tomato paste.
- Scatter pasta over meat. Pour tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and water over pasta and sprinkle sugar on top. Bring to a simmer and cover pan. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Be sure to stir every so often to ensure pasta cooks evenly.
- Once noodles are cooked through, turn heat off and gently stir in Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Dollop the ricotta cheese on top and sprinkle with basil.
Want to Save This Recipe?