Shredded Barbecued Beef- a boneless chuck roast is slow cooked in the oven in a sweet and tangy homemade sauce until fall apart tender.
Makes an awesome sandwich for lunch, dinner, or gameday. Tastes great plain, but even better with some Buttermilk Coleslaw.
Ketchup and apple cider vinegar form the base for the sauce which is both sweet and tangy.
How To Make Shredded Barbecued Beef:
- Sear the chuck roast in some hot oil in a Dutch oven.
- Stir together the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the chuck roast. Cover the Dutch oven and place it in a 325 degree oven for 4 hours.
- Let the meat cool for 15 minutes and then shred it with 2 forks.
So easy and the prep work only takes about 15 minutes. The oven does the rest of the work for you.
Tastes even better the next day!
Sides to go with Shredded Beef Sandwiches:
To make this shredded beef spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Leftovers will keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days or can be frozen in a ziplock freezer bag for 2 to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More Ways To Cook a Chuck Roast:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chuck roast and cook until browned on both sides.
- While roast is browning, stir together remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- When roast is browned, pour sauce over it. Place lid on Dutch oven.
- Place in oven for 4 hours.
- Let meat cool for 15 minutes and then shred with 2 forks.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.