Red Velvet Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting add a little Christmas flavor to the classic southern dessert. With the red color and peppermint flavor, this is a festive holiday dessert.
The batter for these cupcakes is a standard red velvet cake batter with cocoa powder, red food coloring, buttermilk, and a little vinegar. A combination of butter and vegetable oil helps keep these cupcakes wonderfully moist.
The cream cheese frosting is flavored with a little peppermint extract and it is to die for. So creamy and rich!
For more peppermint flavor and to make them look more festive, sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on top. To make the frosting look decorative, use a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
This recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting makes 24 cupcakes, making it perfect for a holiday party.
I’m a sucker for anything red velvet and these holiday flavored cupcakes do not disappoint.
More Red Velvet Desserts
- Red Velvet Scones
- Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- German Chocolate-Red Velvet Cake
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 12-count muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Beat the butter, oil, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the food coloring and buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, beating just until it is incorporated.
- Mix in vinegar,
- Mix in vanilla. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly between the 24 muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat in extract.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.