Crispy Pecan Chicken topped with Bourbon Maple Cream Sauce and Bacon Crumbles. Chicken doesn’t get any better than this y’all.
I’ve been thoroughly enjoying cooking from Southern Living Off the Eaten Path: Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous which features recipes from “Favorite Southern Dives”. It’s like taking a road trip without leaving your kitchen. After having a huge winner with Chocolate Meringue Pie, I moved on to my second recipe from this book, Pecan Chicken in Woodford Reserve Maple Cream Sauce. It’s from Lynn’s Paradise Café in Louisville, Kentucky.
I have been salivating over the picture for months. Any recipe with bourbon immediately catches my eye. Love the stuff. And how timely that my Pumpkin Pancakes with Bourbon Vanilla Maple Syrup were featured yesterday in Buzzfeed’s 23 Ways to Use Whiskey In Every Meal. Now I have a long list of Bourbon recipes to try including Chocolate, Whiskey, and Bacon Chili and Creamy Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
I changed the proportions of the ingredients up a little and added some cayenne pepper and the end result was one of my favorite meals that I’ve cooked. Ever.
When it comes to telling you what I love about this dish I don’t know where to begin. Everything! I love everything about this.
I’ll start with the chicken. Coating a chicken breast in chopped pecans and pan frying it is one of my favorite ways to cook chicken. Pecans add such a wonderful buttery crunch. Just the chicken alone would make a delicious meal.
The Gravy. Oh, the gravy. I do so love you.
The gravy is quite sweet. I added a little cayenne pepper to balance the sweetness some. Think chicken and waffles. Only no waffles. The gravy is out of this world. I mean, can you go wrong with heavy cream, maple syrup, bourbon, and bacon? I think not.
Serve with some mashed potatoes and get a little bit of mashed potatoes, a small piece of chicken, and a whole lot of gravy for each bite. Heaven!
It’s a down-home meal made a little gourmet!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Bourbon Maple Cream Gravy
- 3 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup whole grain Creole mustard
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Prepare Pecan Chicken. Combine chicken and buttermilk in a large zip-top bag and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Pour 1 inch of Vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet or sauté pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Place pecans in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Place in a pie plate and combine with flour and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and discard buttermilk. Dredge chicken in pecan-flour mixture, turning to coat both sides well.
- Fry in oil 6 to 7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Place on wire rack to drain off oil. Keep warm.
- Prepare Maple Bourbon Gravy. Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crispy. Place bacon on paper towels. And crumble once cooled.
- Add shallots to bacon drippings and sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in maple syrup, Creole mustard, bourbon, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently for 5 to 8 minutes, or until thickened. If too thick, thin with a little milk.
- To serve, top chicken with gravy and sprinkle with bacon crumbs.