Overnight Sour Cream Rolls- these buttery yeast rolls are a little sweet and a little tangy and wonderfully soft.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Make In Advance
Make the yeast dough a day in advance and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The long, slow rise in the refrigerator develops extra flavor. These Rolls are super tasty. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours before serving, take the dough out of the refrigerator. Shape the dough into balls and let rise for 60 to 90 minutes. Then they just need 14 to 16 minutes to bake.
Because the dough can be prepped in advance, these rolls are perfect for a big holiday meal.
To get a really nice golden exterior on these rolls, brush them with egg white just before baking.
Overnight Sour Cream Rolls Recipe Tips
You want to use Active Dry Yeast for this recipe, NOT Instant Yeast.
When activating the yeast, make sure the water isn’t too hot or it will kill the yeast. If after 5 minutes the yeast hasn’t formed any bubbles, throw it out and start over. Make sure your yeast is fresh and isn’t past the expiration date.
Don’t add more flour then needed. The dough should be sticky and you want a high fat to flour ratio so your rolls will be tender.
How To Freeze
To freeze, wrap cooled, baked rolls tightly in aluminum foil. You can freeze for up to a month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and rewarm in a 300 degree oven.
You will need an electric mixer with a paddle attachment for this recipe.
More Awesome Roll Recipes
Overnight Sour Cream Rolls
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water 105 to 110 degrees
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 egg white whisked until foamy
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Once melted, stir in 1/2 cup sugar, sour cream and salt. Remove from heat and let cool some while you proceed with next step.
- Measure warm water in a glass measuring cup. Stir in yeast and sugar. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups flour to a mixing bowl for an electric mixer. Make a well in center and add salt, yeast mixture and eggs.
- Add sour cream mixture and turn mixture on LOW. Once mixed fairly well, turn mixer to MEDIUM and mix for 1 minute.
- Dough should be soft, not a tight ball, but add a little extra flour (up to 1/2 cup) if too wet. (I added 1/4 cup).
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down and shape into balls about the size of a golfball. You should get 16-20.
- Place on a buttered baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, 60-90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush rolls with beaten egg white.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown.
Want to Save This Recipe?
adapted from Jack Daniels Hometown Celebration Cookbook
1 thought on “Overnight Sour Cream Rolls”
Can these rolls be frozen in the unbaked stage.