Grilled chicken sandwiches are a staple at our house during the summer months. They’re healthy and quick to make, plus the flavor can be varied easily by changing the ingredients in the marinade or the toppings, as in this recipe for Chicken Sandwiches with Pineapple Macadamia Coleslaw. They work equally well for lunch or a casual dinner.
These Mojito Grilled Chicken Sandwiches are flavored with all the classic ingredients of a mojito- rum, mint, and lime. The Mojito is a cocktail that originated in Cuba and it is one of the most refreshing of summer drinks.
The chicken breasts just need 20 minutes or so in the marinade to soak up plenty of flavor from the rum, lime juice, and mint. Serve with a mojito mayonnaise, grilled sweet onions, lettuce, and tomato for a filling and easy meal.
If you’d like a mojito to go with your sandwich, try one of these:
Mojito Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thick slices Vidalia onion
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 leaves of red leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced serrano chile with seeds
- To prepare marinade, combine lime juice, orange juice, rum, mint, coriander, and garlic in a large ziptop bag. Add chicken and move the chicken around in the bag to coat it well with marinade. Let chicken sit on counter for 20 minutes.
- Prepare Mojito Mayonnaise. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Prepare grill or heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill. Discard marinade. Place onion slices on grill.
- Grill 4 minutes each side, or until chicken is cooked through. Grill onions until soft.
- Remove chicken and onion from grill. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise mixture on bottom of each bun. Top with chicken, onion, lettuce, and tomato.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: adapted from Cooking Light
16 thoughts on “Mojito Chicken Sandwiches”
I always forget about serving sandwiches for dinner. These look so good, especially with those grilled onions!
It’s been so so long since I’ve had a grilled chicken sandwich! This looks amazing – all the flavors going on… definitely trying these out this summer!
I would LOVE a mojito to go with my mojito chicken sandwich! Christin, this looks like an amazing weeknight dinner for the summer for sure! 😀
Rum and lime.. these burgers are great! Sometimes the only thing I was is just a good burger like this 🙂
I mean only think I want.. 😀
These look utterly delicious and BEAUTIFUL, Christin! Just love your Mojito Mayonnaise 🙂
Love the Mojito twist!! Creative looking sandwich!
Thank you Ashley! I love a cocktail inspired meal 🙂
Mmm looks delicious as always!
Ah, thanks Matt!
Oh boy, these sandwiches look insanely good! Love the sound of the flavors in here too – what a great recipe Christin!
These look seriously delicious, Christin! You always have some of the best cocktail inspired dishes!
These sound and look so tasty Christin!! I love grilled food during the summer! Especially when it has great flavors!! 🙂
Cocktail-inspired meals are always good. Sounds like a great summer dinner! 🙂
I love me some Mojitos on a hot summer day. Very clever way to prepare a chicken sandwich and never would I have thought of combining these flavors in a sandwich form.
Looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe.
Mojitos are the best on a hot summer day! And we have lots of hot summer days coming our way. Hopefully lots of mojitos too!