Grilled chicken sandwiches are a staple at our house during the summer months. They’re healthy and quick to make, plus the flavor can be varied easily by changing the ingredients in the marinade or the toppings, as in this recipe for Chicken Sandwiches with Pineapple Macadamia Coleslaw. They work equally well for lunch or a casual dinner.
These Mojito Grilled Chicken Sandwiches are flavored with all the classic ingredients of a mojito- rum, mint, and lime. The Mojito is a cocktail that originated in Cuba and it is one of the most refreshing of summer drinks.
The chicken breasts just need 20 minutes or so in the marinade to soak up plenty of flavor from the rum, lime juice, and mint. Serve with a mojito mayonnaise, grilled sweet onions, lettuce, and tomato for a filling and easy meal.
If you’d like a mojito to go with your sandwich, try one of these:
Mojito Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thick slices Vidalia onion
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 leaves of red leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced serrano chile with seeds
- To prepare marinade, combine lime juice, orange juice, rum, mint, coriander, and garlic in a large ziptop bag. Add chicken and move the chicken around in the bag to coat it well with marinade. Let chicken sit on counter for 20 minutes.
- Prepare Mojito Mayonnaise. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Prepare grill or heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill. Discard marinade. Place onion slices on grill.
- Grill 4 minutes each side, or until chicken is cooked through. Grill onions until soft.
- Remove chicken and onion from grill. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise mixture on bottom of each bun. Top with chicken, onion, lettuce, and tomato.
Recipe Source: adapted from Cooking Light