This Mississippi Mudslide Cake has three delicious layers of chocolate cake, tons of Kahlua Whipped Cream, a chocolate ganache and crumbled oreo cookies. It’s a truly fabulous cake that is so easy to put together and the recipe is from my friend Jocelyn’s new cookbook Grandbaby Cakes: Modern Recipes, Vintage Charm, Soulful Memories.
The Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook contains 50 vintage cake recipes along with many family photos and stories. It is so much more than a cookbook and ideal for people like me who love to leaf through the pages of their favorite cookbooks again and again. The recipes are very well written with an incredible amount of detail making it a great cookbook for someone without much experience baking.
There are also plenty of unique and original recipes for the experienced baker. I can’t wait to try the 7Up Pound Cake and the Nana Pudding Tiramisu.
I’ve followed Jocelyn’s blog Grandbaby Cakes for a long time and I was extremely excited to get my hands on this cookbook because we really dig the same type of recipes. They tend to be a mix of the traditional with a little modern flair thrown in and heavily inspired by the type of southern cooking our grandmothers and great-grandmothers did.
This cookbook is just like Jocelyn- warm, personal, and so full of life. It has already become one of my very favorite cookbooks and I have a lot of cookbooks y’all! You will feel like you know Jocelyn and her family after reading through this cookbook and it will probably bring back memories of being in the kitchen with your own family.
This Mississippi Mudslide Cake is just one of 50 amazing cake recipes in Grandbaby Cakes. It starts with three layers of moist chocolate cake. It’s an exceptionally tender and light cake made with buttermilk, vegetable oil, cocoa powder, and some instant coffee for flavor.
The Kahlua Whipped Cream is my favorite part. Flavored with both Kahlua and Bailey’s Irish Cream, it is the most heavenly whipped cream I have ever tasted. I made one slight change to it, omitting the cocoa powder Jocelyn adds to it and instead adding some finely crushed oreo cookies.
A rich chocolate ganache gets added between the layers and drizzled on top of the cake along with some crushed oreo cookies.
This cake really has it all doesn’t it?
Order yourself a copy of Jocelyn’s cookbook Grandbaby Cakes: Modern Recipes, Vintage Charm, Soulful Memoriesso you can try the other 49 amazing recipes and enter the Giveaway below for a chance to win a KitchenAid Mixer, Ancestry DNA Kit, and 5 signed copies of the Grandbaby Cakes cookbook.
Mississippi Mudslide Cake and Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Kahlua Whipped Cream
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup finely crushed oreo cookies
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 1 cup roughly chopped oreo cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 9-inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and eggs and beat on HIGH speed with the whisk attachment for 3 minutes.
- Combine hot water, cocoa powder, instant coffee, and salt. Add to sugar mixture, beating until combined.
- Turn mixer to LOW speed and gradually add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, mixing just until combined and stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Evenly pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans 10 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- For the whipped cream place a clean mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place heavy cream in the chilled bowl and use chilled whisk attachment to beat until soft peaks form.
- Turn speed down to medium and add remaining ingredients (except oreo crumbs) and turn back to high and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in oreo crumbs and refrigerate until needed.
- For ganache, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream. Microwave at 20 second intervals until melted and smooth, stirring in between intervals. Let cool before using.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving platter and spread 1/3 of whipped cream on top. Drizzle with 1/3 of cooled ganache.
- Place second cake layer on top and spread with another 1/3 of whipped cream. Drizzle with ganache.
- Lay final cake layer on top. Spread remaining whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with chopped oreos and drizzle with remaining ganache, Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Grandbaby Cakes: Modern Recipes, Vintage Charm, Soulful Memories
Check out these other great recipe too!
Here are the incredible bloggers participating in the Cake Walk Blogger Tour!
Chocolate, Chocolate and More! – September 15th
Bakers Royale – September 15th
Plain Chicken – September 16th
Real Food by Dad – September 16th
The Kittchen – September 17th
Crazy For Crust – September 17th
Buns In My Oven – September 18th
I Am Baker – September 21st
Blogging Over Thyme – September 21st
Spicy Southern Kitchen – September 22nd
Kitchen Confidante – September 22nd
Broma Bakery – September 23rd
Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen – September 24th
Blahnik Baker – September 24th
Inside BruCrew Life – September 25th
Baking A Moment – September 25th
Life Love and Sugar – September 28th
Shugary Sweets – September 28th
Diethood – September 29th
Afrobella – September 29th
Beyond Frosting – September 30th
Hip Foodie Mom – September 30th
Love & Olive Oil – October 1st
She Wears Many Hats – October 1st