This three layer chocolate cake has a whipped cream filling and chocolate icing. Perfect dessert for any special occasion.
Happy Valentine’s Day! What better way to show your love than with chocolate cake? This one has three layers of moist cake with a deep chocolate flavor, whipped cream between the layers, and the whole thing is covered with a scrumptious chocolate frosting. It’s a truly decadent dessert worthy of Valentine’s Day or any other holiday.
Valentine’s Day is always special, but today it is extra special. It is the day of the inaugural Cancer Chase 5K which my son (a cancer survivor) has organized to raise money for cancer research. Wish us luck! I’m just glad I get to volunteer and don’t have to run. Although I’m sure I’ll be so busy and have so much nervous energy that I’ll feel like I ran the race.
My daughter and I have been super busy the last few days baking brownies, muffins, and cookies to give away for a donation at the race. Needless to say, we are a little sugared out right now.
But even still, I can always muster up an appetite for a slice of chocolate cake.
Chocolate Cake with Cream Filling
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 9-inch cake pans.
- Place the 1 cup cocoa powder in a medium bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Stir with a fork until smooth and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to mix well.
- In the large mixing bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on high speed until smooth.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add flour mixture in 4 batches, beating just until combined.
- Add cocoa mixture in 3 additions, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Once batter is smooth, turn mixer off and divide evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Place cake pans on a wire rack and let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and place back on wire rack to cool completely.
- To make filling, place heavy cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick. Refrigerate until needed.
- To make frosting, place butter in bowl of electric mixer and beat until smooth. Add 1 cup of confectioners' sugar and beat until combined. Add half of the cream with the mixer on low and then remaining ingredients, including what is left of cream. Turn mixer to high and beat until smooth.
- Spread whipped cream between the cake layers and frosting on sides and top of cake. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Recipe Source: adapted from Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
More Cake Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain amazon.com affiliate links.