Mardi Gras Pasta is a wonderfully spiced New Orleans-style dish loaded with shrimp, andouille sausage, peppers, and garlic. It’s basically fettuccine alfredo Cajun-style and it can be made start to finish in just 20 minutes.
There’s nothing at all difficult about this recipe. It’s creamy, buttery and so rich.
The andouille sausage gives this pasta dish so much flavor and some spice.
What is Andouille Sausage and where to find it?
Andouille is a smoked sausage popular in cajun and creole cooking made from pork and spices. You should be able to find andouille sausage at a well-stocked grocery store. Johnsonville makes one that is fairly widely available. It is not as good as the ones you can get in Louisiana. If you really want some authentic andouille sausage, try ordering some from CajunGrocer.
How To Make Mardi Gras Pasta:
- Cook the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, saute the shrimp and then set them aside.
- Make the sauce in the same pan you cooked the shrimp in by first cooking the sausage and veggies in butter, then adding the garlic and tomatoes, followed by the heavy cream. Once the mixture thickens some, add the remaining ingredients.
- Remove from heat and toss the fettuccine and shrimp with the sauce. So simple!
Is this dish spicy?
The spice level of this dish will depend to a large degree on how spicy your andouille sausage is. It can really vary between brands. There is also a little heat from the Cajun seasoning. If you want it spicier, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Try These Other New Orleans Favorites:
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teapsoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain.
- While water comes to a boil and pasta cooks, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.Sprinkle the shrimp with cajun seasoning and paprika and cook in the butter until they turn pink.Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet. When melted, add onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and sausage and cook until the sausage is browned and the veggies are soft.
- Stir in the garlic and tomato and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in heavy cream and simmer until thickened some.
- Add lemon juice, Parmesan and parsley. Stir to melt the Parmesan.Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat. Add fettuccine and shrimp and mix in.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.