Jambalaya Grits have all the flavor of jambalaya except grits form the base of this recipe instead of rice. These grits are so creamy and delicious and packed with flavor!
These grits are loaded with sausage, ham, and shrimp. They could be served as a side or a main dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
For flavor there’s green pepper, onion, chopped tomato, Cajun seasoning, and a little TABASCO sauce. These grits are far from boring.
Jambalaya Grits Recipe Tips:
I cook the grits in a mixture of water and milk. I think the milk helps make the grits creamy. Don’t forget to add the salt to the cooking liquid. The grits really need it and it is hard to get them salted well after the fact.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave. Add a little milk to thin them some.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Andouille sausage link, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/4-inch thick half-moon shapes
- 2/3 cup diced ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and green pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add Andouille sausage and ham and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add water, milk, and salt and bring to a simmer. Gradually stir in grits.
- Add TABASCO sauce, Creole or Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and tomato and cook for another 3 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Stir in cheese and green onions. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Grits Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.