Instant Pot Grits just might be the creamiest, most delicious grits you ever tasted. No more standing over the stove stirring. The pressure cooker does all of the work for you. And no lumps!
Whether served for breakfast or as a base for Shrimp and Grits, this is the easiest, most delicious way to cook grits. The texture is out of this world.
This Instant Pot Grits recipe uses stone ground grits. They are by far the most flavorful grits but they take the longest to cook. Thankfully the Instant Pot reduces the cooking time.
In order to keep them from sticking to the Instant Pot, you’ll need to saute them first in some bacon grease or oil. Use bacon grease if you have some. It adds wonderful flavor.
Next, add water, some half-and-half or milk, salt, and butter. Set the Pressure Cooker on HIGH for 10 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually before removing the lid. Stir in a little cheddar cheese and your grits are ready to serve.
I’m a huge fan of Palmetto Grits which can easily be purchased online.
More Ways to Cook Grits
- Jambalaya Grits
- Pimento Cheese Grits
- Cream Cheese Grits
- Grits Fritters
- Cheesy Grits Casserole with Smoked Sausage
- Crock Pot Grits
Watch the short video below to see how to make Instant Pot Grits.
Instant Pot Grits
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or vegetable oil
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add bacon grease or oil to inner pot of Instant Pot. Turn "Saute" mode on. Once hot, add grits and cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add water, half-and-half, salt, and butter. Turn Instant Pot off, place lid on with valve in "sealing" position. Set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Allow a 15 minute Natural Release and then manually release the remaining pressure. Remove lid and stir in cheese. Stir well. Grits will thicken up some as they cool slightly.
Recipe adapted from: This Old Gal
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.