Jalapeno Sausage Balls- this retro classic party food gets a spicy kick with the addition of jalapenos.
Ingredients Needed For Jalapeno Sausage Balls
- 1 pound breakfast sausage– I use Jimmy Dean.
- 2 to 3 jalapenos
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese– It’s best if you buy a block of cheddar cheese and shred it yourself rather than buying pre-shredded cheese.
- Bisquick Baking Mix– so handy to have in the kitchen. Great for making pancakes or biscuits.
- Milk– a little milk is needed to keep the sausage balls from being dry.
How To Serve
Makes a great holiday appetizer or gameday snack. Also great for potlucks and brunches. Taste great on their own or you can serve them with Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing.
- Stand Mixer– you can mix the ingredients by hand but it is so much easier with a stand mixer.
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Small Cookie Scoop– not necessary but makes it quick and easy to make uniform sausage balls.
For extra spicy sausage balls, use “Hot” breakfast sausage.
Can Sausage Balls Be Frozen?
Yes, they can be frozen before or after baking for up to two months. Flash freeze them on a baking sheet. Then transfer them to a freezer bag. Thaw them on the counter for 20 minutes before baking.
Why Did My Sausage Balls Flatten?
Using pre-shredded cheese can cause the sausage balls to spread out. This is because of the anti-clumping agents added. You can place the formed sausage balls in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking. This will help them keep their shape.
More Easy Southern Appetizers
- Bacon Pigs in a Blanket
- Ranch Cheez-Its
- Sausage Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- Sausage Crescent Balls
- Sweet Little Smokies Rolls
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 to 3 jalapenos, finely diced
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add uncooked sausage, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, Bisquick and milk. Use an electric mixer to mix together. (You can mix with a wooden spoon but it will take a lot more effort.)
- Shape into balls a little smaller than a golf ball and place on prepared baking sheets.Use a small cookie scoop for shaping the balls if you have one.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes.