Honey Bourbon Steak Bites are seared in a cast iron pan until charred on the outside but still juicy on the inside. They are both sweet and salty with the wonderful flavor of bourbon. This is one of my favorite ways to cook steak for dinner.
I like to use either filet mignon or ribeye for this recipe. Filet is good because it stays so tender and I love the flavor ribeye has due to its higher fat content.
I add some mushrooms to the pan at the end and they really soak up the flavor of the steak juices.
The steak is cut into bite-sized pieces and marinated in honey, brown sugar, garlic, bourbon, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce, plus some red pepper flakes for a little heat.
The sugar and honey helps the steak bites develop those caramelized brown spots on the outside, making it taste like steak candy. 🙂
The sweetness of the honey and brown sugar is balanced with the saltiness of the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
Cooking steak that has already been cut into bite-sized pieces makes the cooking process quick and easy. Plus there’s no need for steak knives.
Every time I serve steak, I’m woefully reminded of how precious few steak knives I own.
Cooking the steak in a super hot cast iron pan helps the flavor really develop. A combination of vegetable oil and butter provides plenty of flavor and the oil will let you cook at a high temp without burning the butter.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is!
Honey Bourbon Steak Bites are seared in a cast iron pan until charred on the outside but still juicy on the inside. They are both sweet and salty with the wonderful flavor of bourbon.
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds steak (rib-eye sirloin, or filet), cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 (6-ounce) package mushrooms cut in quarters
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Pour into a large ziptop bag. Add steak cubes and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Heat vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add steak. You will probably need to cook it in two batches because you don't want to crowd the pan. Cook until seared on all sides. Remove from pan. Add remaining butter to pan and cook mushrooms until browned.
I like to use a cast iron pan for this recipe.
More Steak Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.