There’s maybe nothing I love more than a Margarita. The tequila, lime, and orange flavor is irresistible. I’ve tried a tequila-type marinade with chicken before and I thought rib-eye steaks would be even better with these flavors.
Rib-eyes have a fairly high fat content and as the meat grills, the fat melts and makes the most tender and flavorful meat. And it really soaks up the flavors of the marinade.
I made a marinade out of tequila, triple sec, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro, plus a little sugar and a few red pepper flakes for even more flavor. I let the margarita steaks marinate for about 5 hours (4 to 6 hours is good). Be sure to pat the steaks dry before you grill them to get a really nice char.
I cooked them on a hot grill (you could use a grill pan instead) and you’re going to laugh. The last few times I’ve grilled on our new grill, I’ve been wondering why the grill marks were so wide. I mentioned it to my husband. Well, it turns out the grill grates were upside down! Well, even with the fat grill marks, these steaks were still unbelievable. I love a juicy rib-eye. Even more so when flavored like a margarita.
Juicy Grilled Margarita Steak marinated in tequila, lime, and triple sec. The next best thing to drinking a margarita!
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 4 Rib-Eye Steaks
- Combine all ingredients in a ziptop bag, coating steak well. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Place steak on counter 20 minutes before ready to grill.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Lightly oil grill grates
- Discard marinade and pat steaks dry with paper towels.
- Place on gill for 5 minutes, flip steaks, and continue to grill until desired degree of doneness.
This marinade gives the steak a little bit of a sweet taste. If you don't want sweetness, cut sugar in half.
You can substitute orange juice for triple sec.
More Steak Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.