Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Feta Dressing are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and covered in a tangy dressing and sprinkled with bacon. They rival the fried green tomato appetizer at the best southern restaurants.
Fried Green Tomatoes are one of my very favorite southern foods. I love them plain or on a burger or BLT, but they are especially good served as an appetizer with a creamy sauce. I have a hard time not ordering them when I see them on a menu. Sometimes they are served with pimento cheese or a remoulade, but I really love them with this tangy Buttermilk Feta Dressing with fresh dill. It really complements the tart flavor of the green tomatoes well.
The dressing is a simple combination of mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, and lemon juice plus chopped fresh fill and feta cheese. Sprinkling a little bacon on top gives these Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Feta Dressing a salty finish, but they are wonderful without the bacon.
Tips for making Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Feta Dressing
- Use medium-sized, firm green tomatoes. Only buy them a day or two ahead of time. It won’t be long after that that they start to turn red and soft.
- Sprinkle some salt on your green tomatoes as soon as you slice them and let them sit 30 minutes. This will bring some of the water out of them and help prevent them from becoming soggy or mushy.
- A combination of cornmeal and breadcrumbs creates an extra crispy coating.
- Be careful not to fry them too long. You want them to still have some firmness and not get too soft.
More Fried Green Tomato Recipes
- Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Peach Pepper Jelly
- Fried Green Tomato and Bacon Grilled Cheese
Buttermilk Feta Dressing
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 (4-oz) package feta cheese, crumbled and divided (1 cup)
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 pieces bacon
- 3 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Stir together all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the feta cheese for garnish. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cook bacon in a pan (preferably cast iron). Crumble it and set it aside. Leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Sprinkle each side of green tomatoes with salt, using about 1 teaspoon of salt total. Set them on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Blot tomatoes dry with paper towels.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine cornmeal and bread crumbs in a second dish.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl and add about 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk well.
- Coat tomato slices in flour, dip in egg mixture, and coat well in cornmeal mixture.
- Add enough vegetable oil to the pan with the bacon grease to make about 1/2-inch. Heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot add 4 tomato slices at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Place on a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Serve topped with Buttermilk-Feta Dressing, crumbled bacon, and reserved crumbled feta.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.