Five Flavor Pound Cake- five different extracts create one deliciously flavored pound cake. This pound cake has a wonderful moist texture and is finished with an easy 5-flavor glaze.
The flavor of this pound cake only gets better with time as the flavors blend more.
This pound cake contains a combination of both butter and shortening. I think a combination of the two makes the best pound cakes.
A pound cake is one of the most classic and loved southern desserts. There is so much to love about pound cakes. They are easy to make from simple ingredients, keep well, and feed a large crowd. They are sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, without being too sweet.
When it comes to baking a pound cake, the thing I hear people complain about the most is having the cake stick to the pan.
How to keep pound cake from sticking to the pan:
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Letting it cool some also helps prevent the cake from falling apart. BUT– don’t leave it in the pan too long or it will stick.
- Grease the pan really well. I have good luck using Baker’s Baking Spray with Flour. I spray a thick coating to ensure no areas are missed. Most people consider the tried and true method for greasing to be coating the pan with melted shortening and then dusting with flour. Butter tends to not work as well for bundt pans.
- Use a good quality Bundt Pan with a nonstick surface.
- Take good care of your bundt pan. Putting it in the dishwasher or using an abrasive sponge to clean it can damage the nonstick coating.
Five Flavor Pound Cake Recipe Tips:
- You want the butter to be softened, but not melted or at room temperature. It should give a little when you press on it.
- The quality of ingredients are really important when making a pound cake. Use brand name sugar and real butter.
- I prefer to use a stand mixer for pound cakes, but a hand-held mixer can be used instead.
- Use any extracts you like. I like the combination of vanilla, butter, coconut, lemon and rum. Orange and almond are other great choices.
- Measure your flour properly. Fluff up the flour in the bag and then spoon it into the measuring cup and level it with the back of a knife.
- Pound cakes freeze really well. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze up to 6 months.
- Leftover pound cake can be stored at room temperature for 4 days. Wrap it well so it doesn’t dry out.
More Amazing Pound Cakes To Try:
- Coconut Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Classic Southern Pound Cake
- Georgia Peach Pound Cake
- Amaretto Pound Cake
Five Flavor Pound Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon each vanilla, lemon, coconut, rum, and butter extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- 1/8 teaspoon each vanilla, lemon, coconut, rum, and butter extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan really well. I have the best luck with Baker's Baking spray with flour but some people like to coat the pan with shortening and then flour it.
- Using an electric stand mixer, beat the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Be sure to stop the mixer part way through and scrape down the sides.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until no yellow is visible before adding the next one. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure it is all mixed evenly.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.Add the flour, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour and adding the flour in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions.
- Beat in the extracts.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet in case there is any overflow.
- Bake for 75 to 85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no crumbs or only dry crumbs. It should not be wet.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a cake stand or serving platter.
- To make glaze, whisk together all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.