Curried Crab Dip is a creamy, warm dip flavored with ginger, lime juice, curry powder, and mango chutney. Serve with crackers or pita chips for a wonderful party appetizer.
I love the sweet flavor of crab meat. It pairs perfectly with the spicy/sweet flavors of curry. Since it’s expensive to buy, a dip is the perfect way to stretch a little crab into something that a lot of people can enjoy. But don’t worry. This recipe isn’t skimpy on crab. There’s a full 1/2 pound of crab meat.
This crab dip has a wonderful, unique flavor. A combination of cream cheese and mayonnaise makes this dip extra creamy. Also good with cucumber slices.
This dip is super easy to make. No oven needed. This warm crab dip is made in a skillet.
How to Make Curried Crab Dip:
- Saute onion. Then add ginger and curry powder.
- Stir in the mango chutney, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and lime juice until the cream cheese is melted.
- Add the green onion, cilantro and crab meat.
What type of crab to use?
It’s always best to use fresh crab. Generally, the more expensive the crab, the better its flavor. The most expensive is jumbo lump crab, followed by lump crab and backfin. I would use either lump crab or backfin crab for this recipe. Lump crab comes from the body of the crab and it is wonderfully sweet. Backfin crab is a mixture of lump crab and special crab meat.
I only recommend using canned, shelf stable crab as a last resort.
Pick through the crab and remove any bits of shell.
To add a little more heat to this recipe, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave.
More Delicious Dips for Your Next Party:
- Vidalia Onion Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Crab Dip
- Hot Jalapeno Bacon Spinach Dip
- Creamy Parmesan Shrimp Dip
- Spicy Shrimp Dip
- Hot Crab Dip
Curried Crab Dip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney, chop any big pieces of mango into little pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes
- Add curry powder and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mango chutney, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and lime juice and stir until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Add green onion, cilantro, and crabmeat and stir in. Cook until heated. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with crackers or pita chips.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.