Creamy Creole Coleslaw- this colorful coleslaw has a lot of zip from Creole mustard and Creole seasoning. Ready to eat in just over 30 minutes.
This slaw has all the colors of Mardi Gras- Green (cabbage), Purple (red cabbage), and Gold (yellow bell pepper).
I love a creamy colelsaw and this recipe is plenty creamy. The creaminess comes from a mixture of mayonnaise and sour cream. You could use all mayonnaise but I love the extra tang a little sour cream adds.
Both Creole mustard and apple cider vinegar are added for both zip and tang. Just enough sugar is added to cut some of the tang without making the coleslaw sweet.
The Creole seasoning and celery seeds really perk up the flavor.
One of the best things about coleslaw is its texture and this one is fantastically crunchy.
Creamy Creole Coleslaw Recipe Tips:
Once you mix everything together, you’ll need to refrigerate it for 30 to 60 minutes. This allows a little time for the flavors to marry.
The Creole seasoning gives the coleslaw a little kick. If you want more, add a little hot sauce to the coleslaw.
Creole and Cajun seasoning are very similar and can be used interchangeably. I like to use Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. In addition to having a lot of spice, it also has plenty of salt to season this coleslaw.
Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Over time it will lose its crunch but it will still be tasty. However, it is best eaten the day it is made and the red color from the cabbage will discolor it over time.
Creamy Creole Coleslaw Goes Great With:
More Coleslaw Recipes To Try:
Creamy Creole Coleslaw
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 4 to 5 cups shredded green cabbage, about half a medium head of cabbage
- 4 to 5 cups shredded red cabbage, about half a medium head of cabbage
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, sugar, Creole seasoning, and celery seeds.
- Add shredded cabbage, bell pepper, and green onion and toss to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.