Creamy and crunchy Blue Cheese Bacon Coleslaw is the perfect tangy/salty side dish for any grilled meat. It’s also fantastic as a topping on burgers and hot dogs and even on tacos.
A little red cabbage and shredded carrot mixed in with the green cabbage gives some color.
Sometimes just a basic Buttermilk Coleslaw is what’s called for. Other times you want something a little more original. Caesar Coleslaw and this Blue Cheese Bacon Coleslaw fit the bill when you want a unique and extra tasty slaw.
I like to use fresh cabbage for coleslaw instead of the bagged mix. It’s worth the few extra minutes. The taste is much better and you get more for your money.
I love a combination of sour cream and mayonnaise for coleslaw. Together they are so creamy and rich and the sour cream gives just a little tang.
Since it is apple season, you could try adding a julienned apple for a little extra crunch and a touch of sweetness. It ALWAYS goes well with blue cheese and bacon.
I’ve added a tower of crispy bacon pieces. 🙂
Add them just before serving so they stay crispy.
Tomorrow I’ll be sharing a delicious way to eat this Blue Cheese Bacon Coleslaw.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 3-4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small green cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
- 1/4 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook diced bacon in a pan until crisp. Drain on paper towels and reserve.
- Combine green and red cabbage and carrot in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, and salt and pepper.
- Add about 1/2 the dressing to the cabbage and stir to combine well. Keep adding dressing and stirring until all the cabbage is coated well. You may not need all the dressing.
- Stir in blue cheese crumbles and green onion.
- Sprinkle bacon on top.